About this course
The ESOL element of the courses focuses on the language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Grammar and specialist vocabulary are also a very important part of this course and students will be able to develop these areas which will support them with the health and social care element of the course.
This course is available at:
- 16 hours a week
What you will study
The course is 16 hours per week as follows:
- 3.5 hours of care
- 9.5 hours of ESOL
- 3 hours of numeracy
The units covered in Childcare and Health and Social Care element of the course are:
- Human Development - Birth to Older Adult
- Working with Babies
- Young Children and their Families to Encourage Language and Literacy Development
The Childcare component of the course focuses on an introduction to creative activities for children’s development and the Health and Social Care element will help to prepare you for work in a health care environment. These modules of the course are delivered by subject specialists who have first-hand experience of working within a Health and Social Care or Childcare profession. This course prepares learners for the level 2 ESOL Health and Social Care/Childcare course.
The course will prepare learners for nationally recognised qualifications in both ESOL and Health and Social Care/Childcare. Students will also cover Numeracy as part of the programme, which will also lead to a recognised qualification.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Assessment at Level 1. Alternatively, successful achievement of Entry Level 3 and satisfactory reference from tutor to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Regular assignments and regular assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came over from Romania two and half years ago. I began at the college studying ESOL, and have now progressed onto studying an Access Course in BTEC Applied Science. My ESOL course was a really helpful course, and everyone was friendly.
Need to know