About this course
This Entry Level 3 course takes place over four days and students attend for 16 hours per week. Some lessons take place at our CCTC site on Dumballs Road.
The ESOL element of the course focuses on the language skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Grammar and specialist vocabulary related to construction are also a very important part of this course and students will be able to develop these areas which will support them with the Construction component of the course.
Work overalls and protective footwear required.
This course is available at:
- 16 hours a week
What you will study
The Construction element of the course follows a modular training programme and includes the following:
- Health and Safety
- Working and Communicating in Construction Trades
- Painting and Decorating
These practical sessions take place in fully resourced workshops, allowing learners to become familiar with working within a construction environment.
This course forms the basis of the knowledge required for progression onto higher level Diploma Level 1 Construction course.
The course will prepare learners for nationally recognised qualifications in both ESOL and Construction. Students will also study Numeracy as part of the programme, which will lead to a recognised qualification.
Students who enrol on these courses need to be fully committed as we expect an attendance rate of 100%. Students whose attendance drops below 90% will be at risk of losing their places.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Assessment at Entry Level 3. Alternatively, successful achievement of Entry Level 2 and satisfactory reference from tutor to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress.
Teaching and assessment
- Regular assessments and regular assignments and end of year assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came over from Romania two and half years ago. I began at the college studying ESOL, and have now progressed onto studying an Access Course in BTEC Applied Science. My ESOL course was a really helpful course, and everyone was friendly.
Need to know