About this course
Our VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (QCF) is a technical qualification aimed at developing the knowledge, understanding and technical skills needed for a career as a Sports Massage Therapist. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this course has been specifically designed for the 16-19 age group, but can also be taken by 19 years plus, and is based on the national occupational standards for massage, namely CNH1, CNH7 and CNH20. Studying in the College's dedicated facilities, this qualification was developed collaboratively with the following organisations:
- Active IQ
- Central YMCA Qualifications
with input from the industry through the Complimentary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) and the General Council for Massage Therapies (GCMT).
What you will study
The content of this qualification is comprised of all the required elements needed to work effectively and efficiently as a sports massage therapist. This includes:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Professional practice
- An understanding of the principles of health and fitness
- How to provide sports massage treatments
The Level 3 Sports Massage Therapist will be able to work safely and effectively on dysfunctional tissue in a range of contexts, to include pre-event, post event, intra-event and for maintenance purposes.
The structure of this qualification is comprised of 5 units which are all mandatory:
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Health & Fitness
- Understanding the principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Professional practice in sports massage
- Sports massage treatments
Assessments will be practically based, and case studies are required for portfolio of evidence with an external paper to demonstrate knowledge competence. Furthermore, 100 hours of work experience is required.
There are 2 class options:
Group A - Wednesday 1.00pm - 4.00pm
Group B - Wednesday 5.00pm - 8.00pm
When enrolling please specify which class is preferable to you - this will be on a first come first serve basis but we will aim to supply your request.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £92.00
Course Fee: £458.00
Certificate in Massage Techniques. Evidence of qualifications in Anatomy and Physiology. You will need to attend an interview.
17:00 - 20:00 Monday
Teaching and assessment
- Practical assessments including portfolio
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Ever since I can remember I have always enjoyed doing hair and beauty. Through the contacts that one of our tutors had, I obtained a job working in a spa. The practical skills I have gained from studying at CAVC have been amazing.
Need to know