About this course
This course is ideal for school leavers, giving a useful insight into the aviation world, providing the basic knowledge for those wanting to progress onto level 3 courses, employment or apprenticeships.
This course enables learners to develop the essential knowledge to become an aerospace technician or engineer. This qualification is a vital part of either an intermediate or advanced apprenticeship in the Aerospace sector.
This qualification is designed to equip a new entrant into the aviation industry with the fundamental and basic knowledge required as part of their training as an unlicensed aircraft mechanic.
What you will study
The knowledge-based units for this qualification that will be studied includes:
- Fundamentals of Aviation Mathematics and Science
- Human Factors in Aviation
- Fundamentals of Electrics and Theory of Flight
- Fundamentals of Airframe Construction and Systems
- Fundamentals of Gas Turbine Engines
- Fundamentals of Aircraft Propellers
- Fundamentals of Electrical and Avionic Systems
This classroom-based course is delivered by dedicated subject matter experts with practical examples to support the theory of the course.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Applicants who hold or are predicated to gain a minimum of 5 GCSE’s – Grade A* to D or equivalent. To include A* to C in a Maths and Science subject. You must also be computer literate on Windows PC machines and applications. Applications from mature students who may have interests or industry experience will also be considered. Are also: - Keen and motivated to work in an engineering environment - Willing to undertake a course of intense training - Have completed tests in basic numeracy, literacy and communication skills and have spatial awareness Would be eligible to apply for this course.
Teaching and assessment
- Online and written exams and practical assessments and assignments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I got the chance to go to France as part of a student exchange project which was really exciting and worked on different aircraft to what we have here at ICAT. The tutors really want you to succeed, everyone is so knowledgeable and it’s a great environment to learn and develop in.
I’ve started an apprenticeship with Boeing to get my A Licence and this time next year I could be working at Gatwick Airport as well as with military aircraft. There’s so many options for me now and you never know where this can take me. If you’re looking for an engineering course or have an interest in aircraft, I’d say go for it! Get stuck in and you’ll have a great experience.
Need to know