About this course
The Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory qualification combines theoretical knowledge in children's care, play, learning and development with the practical skills needed to work within the sector.
It is primarily designed for post-16 learners in further education who are:
- interested in working in a supervisory role in the childcare sector
- studying, or have completed Level 2 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Core qualification
- returning to the workforce after a career break looking to refresh their knowledge and skills in the Childcare sector.
This qualification is suitable for learners who have achieved a Level 2 childcare qualification including the Level 2 Children's Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory or who have no previous knowledge of the children's care, play, learning and development sectors.
Learners are required to complete a minimum of 700 hours of work placement to achieve this qualification.
What you will study
You will study:
- Core practice in children’s care, play, learning and development
- Growth and development
- Nutrition and hydration in early years
- Responding to childhood illness
- Principles and theories that influence children's care, play, learning and development in the 21st century in Wales
- Investigating current issues in children's care, play, learning and development in Wales
- Welsh Baccalaureate
The Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory qualification is assessed through 70% internal assessment and 30% external assessment. Candidates must successfully complete:
- an externally set, internally marked set of tasks
- a portfolio of evidence
- a discussion with their assessor
- an external examination
- an externally set and marked extended investigation.
Completion of Welsh Baccalaureate tasks as required by WJEC.
Completion of the Level 3 Children's Care, Play, Learning and Development: Practice and Theory qualification provides a suitable foundation for the study of early years and childcare through a range of higher education courses, or apprenticeships.
N.B. Legislation prevents those under 18 years of age obtaining employment with children. We would therefore recommend that those wishing to move into employment after completing this qualification should be at least 17 years of age when they begin the course.
Applicants for courses in Health and Social Care or Early Years are required by law to have a clear DBS check. This needs to be completed on-line prior to enrolment and will cost approximately £44.00.
5 GCSE's Grade C including English Language at grade C and Mathematics at grade C.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
I feel a lot more independent than at school. I find there is a lot more support here. Through doing this course I will be able to work in a school. All my teachers are really lovely, they are all supportive and understanding.
Need to know