About this course
A2 Dance is a one-year course and should be taken alongside two or three other subjects and the Welsh Baccalaureate. It may be possible to take this course as a part-time student.
The study of dance enables students to develop socially whilst promoting creativity, fitness and well-being. As students become performers, they’ll also develop their confidence, self-esteem and team working skills.
What you will study
The A-level Dance specification requires students to develop, demonstrate and articulate practical and theoretical knowledge, understanding and experience of:
- technical and performance skills
- the process and art of choreography
- the interrelationship between the creation, presentation and viewing/appreciation of dance works
- the development of dance placed within an artistic and cultural context
- professional dance works and the significance of these works
- subject specific terminology and its use.
Knowledge, understanding and skills will be developed and demonstrated within performance, choreography and critical engagement with the study of professional repertoire located within specific areas of study.
The study of professional dance works, within the areas of study, promotes the integration of theory and practice and underpins students’ own approaches to performance and choreography.
Areas of study provide students with the opportunity to investigate the key changes in the development of dance linked to a genre(s) and allow students to demonstrate contextual understanding through written communication and performance.
[Please type here course content]
[Please type here course content]
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
Successful completion of AS programme including satisfactory attendance and tutor recommendation.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know