About this course
This Level 6 qualification is intended for candidates who want to learn the skills to provide clinical supervision for counselling practitioners. It is aimed at counsellors who have acquired sufficient client work experience to contemplate the move to a supervision role. The course is 90 GLH and will be delivered on an evening basis at the Colcot Road campus.
Pending approval from awarding body www.cpcab.co.uk
What you will study
Candidates will be taught through a range of methods including, lectures, discussions, experimental workshops that facilitate role plays, group work. They will also learn the essential skills necessary to supervise counsellors who work at CPCAB service levels A and B.
Learners will need to:
- have both supervisees and supervisory supervision
- be working as counsellors under supervision
The supervisory skills learned will equip participants to manage the fundamental aspects of the clinical supervisors role including:
- providing supervisee and guidance
- encouraging self-review
- monitoring supervisee progress
- managing legal and ethical boundaries
- developing awareness of the supervision process
- working with relationship issues which impact on both the counselling and supervision process
This qualification is made up of seven learning outcomes and associated assessment criteria:
- Model and supervise the professional framework
- Model and supervise the skilled use of the relationship
- Model and supervise the use of theory and research on diversity
- Model and supervise a user centred approach to the work
- Model and supervise the skilled use of the self
- Model and supervise the coherent use of theory, research and skills
- Model and supervise the self-reflective practitioner
Supervision work experience
Candidates are required to complete 15 hours minimum of clinical supervision work with therapeutic counsellors. This can take place one to one or in a group and can be counsellors in an agency setting or private practice.
Candidates are required to have clinical supervision for all their supervisory work – a minimum of 5 hours during the length of the course. Candidates should ensure that they arrange sufficient and appropriate supervision to meet professional body requirements. They also need to ensure that their supervision arrangements are approved by the tutor. They need to keep a log of their supervision hours. The candidates’ supervisory supervisor is required to complete a report on their work.
Group training supervision
Candidates are required to take part in group training supervisory supervision as part of their course. They will be expected to present their work as a supervisor, receive supervisory support and challenge from tutors and peers, and learn from and challenge other candidates in the group. The emphasis here is on examining professional and therapeutic issues relating to their supervision work as a trainee supervisor.
There is no requirement for personal therapy during this qualification.
- Reflective journals
- Supervisee record (15 hours)
- Supervisory supervision record – 5 hours
- Written assignments (2,500 words)
- Tutor–observed supervision practice session
- Case presentation
- Supervisor’s report
- Tutor and Peer feedback
- Candidates complete a structured case review (3,000 – 3,500 words).
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £1,500.00
Candidates must have the CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling or the CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling or the CPCAB Level 5 Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapeutic Skills and Theory or their RPL equivalent - plus a recommended minimum 450 hours of supervised client work.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know