About this course
Construction and the Built Environment is an ideal subject for students wishing to become and Architect, Building Surveyor, Construction Manager, Civil Engineer, Quantity Surveyor or follow any other professional career pathway in the sector.
What you will study
This course will provide you with the fundamental knowledge required for entry into the construction industry and it will provide you with a recognised qualification that will act as a springboard into higher education.
The programme encompasses a wide range of subject areas and is made up of a combination of mandatory and optional units, including;
- Construction Technology
- Construction & Design
- Maintenance and Adaptation of Buildings
- Sustainability in Construction
- Scientific and Mathematical Applications for Construction
- Exploring Surveying
- Exploring Civil Engineering
- Construction Drawing Techniques
Additionally learners are required to have their own safety boots before starting the course. The boots can be bought from any retailer.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs at Grade D or above or equivalent Level 1 qualification. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I have enjoyed being around the City Centre Campus, it's a nice surrounding and everyone gets along. The highlight of my time at college has been the new friends I have made and the different atmosphere from school. You can gain new skills and do things you'd never thought you could do before.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course you can go on to complete the full 2-year Extended Diploma. Many students progress onto courses at university, others go directly into employment. CAVC offers a HNC in Sport Coaching which if competed successfully leads on to a top up at Cardiff Metropolitan University to complete the full degree course.
Need to know