About this course
Formerly known as the Safe Handling of Refrigerants (2078) qualification, the aim of this F Gas and ODS Regulations course (2079-11 Category 1) is to provide the applicant with the knowledge and skills to work on the installation, service, maintenance, recovery and leak checking of stationary refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment that contain refrigerants classed as either Fluorinated (F) gases or Ozone Depleting Substances (ODS).
This qualification is linked with the legal requirements and demonstrates how to contain, prevent and reduce emissions of F-gases, covered by the Kyoto protocol.
This FREE course is only available to adults that are eligible for a Personal Learning Account (PLA). Personal Learning Accounts, funded by the Welsh Government, are available to employed adults living in Wales that wish to develop skills to progress or change career.
Find out if you're eligible today.
What you will study
Applicants will gain sufficient skills, knowledge and techniques to:
- Fabricate and fit mechanical and brazed joints
- Pressure test and evacuate to BSEN378
- Charge a zeotropic blend (eg.R404A), run the system and check the refrigerant state
- Carry out a visual check for leaks, indirectly assess the system for low charge and leak test using an electronic leak detector
- Fit and disconnect gauges on the running system with service and Schrader valves
- Recover the refrigerant
- Maintain F-gas log books and records
- Handle refrigerants safely and dispose of legally prohibited substances
Delegates must be employed within the industry as a refrigeration engineer or equivalent
Assessment is via an Online Exam and Practical Assessment
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £0.00
Must be employed within the industry as a refrigeration engineer or equivalent
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know