About this course
Our Level 2 Children's Care Learning and Development (CCLD) course prepares you to work with babies, children and young people in a supervised capacity. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this programme offers an insight into working with children from birth to 16 years of age, and pupils will undertake regular work placements.
Studying in the colleges dedicated classrooms and facilities, learners will gain experience of working in a range of settings and environments within the sector of children's services including private nurseries, schools, Sure Start, Flying Start, Before & After school clubs.
What you will study
- Safe Environments
- Child Development 0 - 16 years
- Children & Play
- Communication and Professional Skills within Childcare & Education
- Safeguarding the Welfare of Children & Young People
Note: Students will spend approximately 15 hours per week in college plus 2 days at placement - hours are subject to change.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grade A* - C including Welsh Language at A* - C (or equivalent). Maths preferred A* - D (or equivalent). OR Health & Social Care Level 1, including GCSE Welsh Language at A* - C. Maths preferred A* - D. Or BTEC Level 2 Pass, including GCSE Welsh Language A* - C. Maths preferably at D or above. Satisfactory DBS check and reference. Fluent in Welsh
Teaching and assessment
- Practical assessment and written assignments and portfolio
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I feel a lot more independent than at school. I find there is a lot more support here. Through doing this course I will be able to work in a school. All my teachers are really lovely, they are all supportive and understanding.
Need to know