About this course
Our Hospitality Services course is for the more practical learner, and will provide you with an excellent insight into the catering industry. Learners will have the opportunity of working within our award-winning restaurants, training in an industry level kitchen alongside professionals as well as experiencing first hand front of house.
This programme deliveries the basic skills of professional cookery within the catering industry, including numeracy and literacy or day to day tasks. Pupils will enhance their personal and social skills throughout the year working individually and within a team to complete tasks and assessments in hospitality services.
What you will study
On this course, topics will include;
- Working effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintaining food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintaining a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Preparing and cooking vegetables
- Preparing and cook bread & dough products
- Preparing and clearing areas for table service
- Providing table and tray service
- To work within the commercial restaurant The Classroom
There may also be an opportunity for all learners to visit trade shows such as Hotel Olympia and compete in competitions at all levels.
You will also be expected on to work functions, lunch and dinner service on a rota basis including Saturdays with our commercial team for enrichment and to develop your skills in a busy fine dining restaurant.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate good personal hygiene and professional image at all times.
Additional fee: Uniform and knives supplied by the student approx. cost £250-£280 includes all PPE, Chefs whites, restaurant uniform and safety shoes, must be worn in all production facilities by law.
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades D-F. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
Teaching and assessment
A practical assessment will form part of the recruitment criteria to ascertain suitability for this course.
The Certificate course is assessed through multiple choice questions and answers and practical assessments in The Classroom and commercial kitchens.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
LocationMaps & directions
The course has opened loads of opportunities for me – I got to the semi-finals of the Nestle Torgue d’Or and won in Skills Competition Wales and will compete in WorldSkills UK. This course has made me really excited for my future.
Career prospects & further study
On successful completion of this course, learners can opt to progress onto Professional Cookery Level 3 at Cardiff and Vale College or Learners can go straight into employment in the hospitality and catering industry.