About this course
The AL Business Studies Part Time programme covers both AS and A2 Business Studies, so it is possible for students to gain a full A-level qualification within one year.
AS Business Studies has two units covering:
- Business Opportunities
- Business Functions
A2 follows on from AS with two units:
- Business Analysis and Strategy
- Business in a Changing world
What you will study
Further details of all the units are as follows:
Unit 1: Business Opportunities
- Starting a Business - the challenges and issues of starting a business; enterprise and entrepreneurs.
This will be assessed within a written exam of 1 hours and 15 minutes.
Unit 2: Business Functions
- Marketing - designing and implementing an effective marketing mix.
- Finance - examining budgets and how a business can improve cash flow and profits.
- Operation Management - looking at how technology improves business.
- People in Business - organisational structures, recruitment, training and motivation.
The external exam is 2 hours, which consists of compulsory, data response questions.
Unit 3: Business Analysis and Strategies
- This concentrates on analytical techniques and a detailed examination of business strategies using mini-case studies.
A written external exam of 2 hours and 15 minutes consists of structured questions.
Unit 4: The Business in a Changing World
- This concentrates on how a business handles the dynamic world. The paper will examine the entire content, within the context of the external environment.
A written external exam of 2 hours and 15 minutes, which consists of a case study, compulsory questions and a second section of a choice of essays.
Course fee per year
Exam Fee: £90.00
Course Fee: £560.00
5 GCSEs A*- C including English and Maths
17:45 - 20:45 Monday
Teaching and assessment
- Four written exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know