About this course
As more people spend more time online, the amount of data they generate grows. If organisations and companies do not have secure information systems that data could get into the wrong hands, with potentially dangerous results. This cyber security course is designed to train tomorrow’s security professionals, combining fundamental concepts and principles with exposure to new technologies and solutions.
Students will gain a practical understanding of key issues relating to the design, analysis and implementation of modern IT security systems. The course will develop students’ ability to recognise the legal, social, ethical and professional issues involved in the exploitation of Cyber Security technology and be guided by the adoption of appropriate professional, ethical and legal practices.
The course is designed to meet industry needs/job market demands, and produce graduates who are informed and suitably equipped to meet the needs of the industry. Students who study for this cyber security degree will:
- build the skills needed to tackle modern secure systems
- develop an appreciation of commercial and open-source cyber security equipment, software and services
- learn management and applications central to cyber security issues
- develop interpersonal skills and business acumen.
What you will study
- Computer Architecture
- Maths for Computing
- Algorithms and Data Types
- Information Systems and Databases (ISDB)
- Cyber Security in Society
- Applied Cryptography
- Distributed Computing
- Mobile App Development (MAD)
- Network & Security
- Web and Mobile App Security (WMAS)
- Enterprise Security Management
- Cyber Crime
- Natural Language Interface
- Advanced Topics in Cyber Security
Subject to approval by the University of West London at an approval event in June 2019.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £9,250.00
UCAS Tariff 112 – 120.
These can include;
- A Levels at grade B, B and C, or above
- BTEC Extended Diploma with Distinction, Merit, Merit
- Access to HE Diploma
You also need GCSE English and Maths (grade 9 – 4 / A* - C) or Level 2 equivalents
Mature applicants (aged 21+): If you do not hold the qualifications listed but have relevant work experience, you are welcome to apply. Your application will be considered on an individual basis.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I’ve been studying IT at the College and this HND course is great as it’s more in-depth at this level and is delivered in partnership with the University of South Wales. I’ve experienced website development as well as programming, databases and now practical aspects such as digital media – which involve Photoshop, HTML and producing websites via Rich Media. These skills are really transferable. The tutors are very helpful – I can always ask them for advice whenever I need it.
Need to know