About this course
Our VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty and Spa Therapy General (QCF) is aimed at those learners seeking to work and develop their skills in a commercial setting. This qualification can only be delivered by colleges that have or have access to a 'real' salon and not just a realistic working environment, and includes all the required elements to work effectively as a beauty therapist including:
- Facial skincare
- Enhancement of eyebrow and eyelashes
- Waxing services
- Effectiveness at work
- Health & safety
- Promoting additional products and services to clients
The therapist in this qualification will assist in the Spa environment as part of their course, where they will be expected to set up, check and maintain the general condition and appearance of a wide range of spa services.
What you will study
This qualification's structure provides learners with the flexibility to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills depending upon their designated career pathway as a junior beauty & spa therapist. Learners will also further develop their understanding and skills base by selecting a number of optional specialist units. Students will be supervised by technical staff and assessed on their competence through a number of methods including practical competence and a portfolio of evidence. Pupils will also complete external exams and Essential Skills portfolios.
Additional areas that will be covered include:
- ESW Literacy & Numeracy
- Welsh Baccalaureate - where you will explore a wide range of areas including enterprise activities.
Students will be required to undertake a work placement as part of their full time qualification and will have the opportunity to work within a busy commercial environment in order to develop their vocational skills and competence.
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Salon Fees: £30.00
3 GCSEs Grades A* - D including English Language (or equivalent). Satisfactory reference from Course Tutor. Alternatively, successful achievement of Level 1 (Beauty) and satisfactory reference. Satisfactory reference from School or College to indicate good behaviour, attendance and progress OR prior Learning and work experience.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment and practical assessment including exams
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Ever since I can remember I have always enjoyed doing hair and beauty. Through the contacts that one of our tutors had, I obtained a job working in a spa. The practical skills I have gained from studying at CAVC have been amazing.
Need to know