About this course
This qualification is designed to teach learners to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language use.
What you will study
They will gain basic skills and confidence in production and reception of BSL.
The specification has been designed using the UK Occupational Language Standards 2010 at Level 1.
Units on this course will include:
- BSL 101 - Introduction to BSL
- BSL 102 - Conversational BSL
- BSL 103 - Communicate in BSL about Everyday Life
At the end of the qualification, learners will be able to:
- Understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL.
- Take part in simple, everyday conversations on BSL
- Give and follow simple directions or instructions in BSL
- Give and follow simple familiar statements or descriptions in BSL
A range of teaching methods are used including presentations and interactive group work. Assessment is practical via conversations with a teacher, some of which will be recorded via video to be externally assessed.
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £75.00
BSL Competence standards include requirements for candidates to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Need to know