About this course
Would you like to develop your talent in art, design or multimedia and train for a career in the creative industry? If so, you've come to the right place! This course is aimed at providing a challenging and flexible programme of study related to the creative sector. Studying in our dedicated studios and facilities at our Barry campus, this programme will explore a wide range of media and techniques including 3D design, ceramics, textiles, graphic communication, digital photography and painting.
Throughout the duration of the course, personal and employability skills will be developed through a broad range of units. Most students who successfully complete this programme can also expect to progress onto one of the Level 2 Art and Design related courses run at the college, which will further enhance their chances of progressing into employment in the creative industry.
What you will study
On this course you will study subjects including:
- 3D Design
- Mixed Media – Ceramics / Textiles / Graphic Communication
- Digital Photography
- Exploring design skills for the performing arts
Essential Skills: Application of Number, Communication and ICT.
Applicants would benefit from achieving 3 GCSEs Grades D-F. Alternatively, applicants will be considered based on interview and a satisfactory skills scan, with a desire and commitment to complete the course they would wish to study.
Teaching and assessment
- Continuous assessment
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
My highlight of this course is learning to sew and being able to explore all of the themes that I wanted to and producing a really cool cowboy project. My plans after college are to go to Brighton University and study fashion design and business studies so that I can then go on to potentially own a store. This course allowed me to find my specialty and, with the support from my tutors, I was able to learn and refine my skills.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may progress to a Level 2 First Diploma in Art and Design.
Need to know