Repair & Service of Heavy Vehicles - Apprenticeship
About this course
Our part-time Level 3 Vehicle Repair course covers the main aspects of Heavy Vehicle repair and Servicing at an advanced level. Training in our new Automotive Centre and workshops in Cardiff, students will gain practical skills and knowledge of the sector, whilst having access to the latest industry facilities and custom made equipment. Pupils will also work alongside industry qualified staff and take part in various work placements throughout the duration of the programme.
The course takes place on a Tuesday, starting at 9:00am and finishing at 6:00pm. Candidates enrolling on this course are usually taking part in an Apprenticeship Programme, spending four days per week with an employer and one day per week at college.
What you will study
This is a one year programme covering areas such as:
- Health and Safety
- Tools and Equipment used in Vehicle Repair
- Techniques for Service and Inspection of Trucks
- Repair and Replacement of Engine Components
- Repair and Replacement of Fuel Systems
- Electrical repairs and Maintenance for Trucks
- Brakes, Steering, Suspension Repair
The main qualifications of this course make up the components of the Apprenticeship in Heavy Vehicle Repair and Servicing.
The programme is made up of the following qualifications:
Theory course (VRQ) - This takes place at the Automotive centre in Dumballs Rd and is a mixture of practical tasks and theory classes.
Practical Assessment (VCQ) - This takes place in the employers workshop and consists of gathering evidence to satisfy criteria along with a number of observations from trained assessors.
Essential Skills Wales – These include Application of Number, Communications and Digital Literacy at either Level 1 or Level 2.
Course fee per year
Part Course Fees: £0.00
Candidates are expected to already be employed within the Automotive Industry, or to find an Apprenticeship provider.
Teaching and assessment
- Written practical and online assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
"Studying at CAVC has been really enjoyable. The College have the best facilities in Cardiff and has helped me achieve my goals"
Career prospects & further study
After completing this course, successful candidates may have the chance to progress to a Foundation Degree within the field. The course provides as great foundation for a career in this sector.
Need to know