About this course
The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science is designed for post-16 learners wanting to continue their education through applied learning, and who aim to progress to HE and/or employment. The course provides learners with the opportunity to expand their knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics with a hands-on applied approach. Learners will also gain experience in independent research and Harvard referencing, skills that are highly valued at University level.
The Extended Certificate qualification is equivalent in size to one A Level and can be studied alongside other BTEC qualifications of similar size or suitable A Levels.
What you will study
- Unit 1 Principles & Applications of Science I
- Unit 2 Practical Scientific Procedures & Techniques
- Unit 3 Science Investigation Skills
- 8 Physiology of Human Body Systems
Units 2 and 8 will be assessed through internal marking and grading of submitted coursework. Each Unit consists of 3-4 coursework assignments
Grading: Pass, Merit, Distinction
Units 1 and 3 will be marked and graded externally by Pearson. Unit 1 consists of three written exams; Biology, Chemistry & Physics. Unit 3 is a set task and consists of a practical investigation followed by a written exam.
Grading: Near Pass, Pass, Merit, Distinction
[Please type here course content]
Course fee per year
Part-time enrolment fee: £0.00
Individual Subject Entry Requirement CC in Double Award or Merit in BTEC Science
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18.
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect.
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice.
- Course fees are subject to change. Your fee will be confirmed prior to enrolment.
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print.
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Career prospects & further study
After completing this programme, successful candidates may pursue a selection of courses at University, as well as various employment opportunities within the industry.
Need to know