About this course
This 10-week part time course, equivalent to a Unit 6, is ideal for all learners who are interested in both Mechatronics and Robotics. The course will provide you with the core skills and knowledge required to design simple mechatronics systems such as a drone or a robot. The course gives you the fantastic opportunity to learn about various parts of mechatronics systems topics including sensors, actuators and control in theory, simulation and physical construction and builds.
The course is 4 hours per week over the course of 10 weeks and has the mandatory requirements:
Typical offers: BBB at A levels, DDM at BTEC Level 2 or above (must include Maths and either Physics, Electronics, Further Maths or Chemistry) or a combination of your qualifications.
Mature Applicants: We welcome applications from mature students (aged 21 and over) and do not necessarily require the same academic qualifications as school leaving applicants.
By the end of this course, the learners will have achieved a certificate on Mechatronics covering Unit 6 of the nationally recognised Level 4 Certificate.
You will have some knowledge and basic skills in production or maintenance engineering already, most likely from school during technical / workshop studies or from work-experience.
What you will study
On successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Examine the design and operational characteristics of a mechatronic system.
- Design a simple mechatronic system specification for a given application,
- Use appropriate simulation and modelling software to examine its operation and function,
- Solve faults on mechatronic systems using a range of techniques and methods.
Upon successful completion you can progress onto advanced topics in Robotics and Mechatronics projects and applications.
By the end of the course, the learners will have achieved a nationally recognised Level 4 certificate in Mechatronics of Unit 6.
The qualification is assessed by a combination of centre devised practical assessments and assignments covering the topics detailed in the course content. Your hand-skills in the workshop will be continually assessed and marked.
Course fee per year
Course Fee: £150.00
Candidates must have sufficient knowledge and experience in Mechatronics to be able to successfully complete this programme
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
Aircraft Engineering covered the key areas I was looking for; Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Electrics. I progressed onto the BEng Honours Degree from the Level 3 course here at CAVC. The course really opens your eyes to how much goes on inside an aircraft and it highlighted that this was the industry for me.
Need to know