About this course
This two-year course, equivalent to two A-Levels is ideal for school leavers who are interested in both Aerospace and Aviation Science including General Engineering. The course will provide you with the core skills and knowledge required to work as an aircraft fitter or unlicensed engineer in the aviation industry. The course gives you the fantastic opportunity to learn about various aircraft topics including aircraft systems, materials and hardware, hydraulics, propulsion to position you well for a successful career in aerospace. The course is approximately 20 hours per week over the course of two years and has the mandatory requirements of gaining knowledge, practical hand skills in both mechanical and electrical/avionic competence.
What you will study
Below are the units you will cover:
- Unit 1 Health and Safety
- Unit 4: Mathematics
- Unit 66: Theory of Flight
- Unit 67: A/C Mechanical Science
- Unit 72: A/C Maintenance Practices
- Unit 77: Human Factors
- Unit 2: Comms for Technicians
- Unit 3: Engineering Project
- Unit 69: Workshop Principles;
- Unit 70: A/C Materials and Hardware
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Applicants who hold or are predicated to gain a minimum of 5 GCSE’s – Grade A* to D or equivalent. To include A* to C in a Maths and Science subject. You must also be computer literate on Windows PC machines and applications. Applications from mature students who may have interests or industry experience will also be considered. Are also: - Keen and motivated to work in an engineering environment - Willing to undertake a course of intense training - Have completed tests in basic numeracy, literacy and communication skills and have spatial awareness Would be eligible to apply for this course.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I got the chance to go to France as part of a student exchange project which was really exciting and worked on different aircraft to what we have here at ICAT. The tutors really want you to succeed, everyone is so knowledgeable and it’s a great environment to learn and develop in.
I’ve started an apprenticeship with Boeing to get my A Licence and this time next year I could be working at Gatwick Airport as well as with military aircraft. There’s so many options for me now and you never know where this can take me. If you’re looking for an engineering course or have an interest in aircraft, I’d say go for it! Get stuck in and you’ll have a great experience.
Need to know