About this course
A qualification in accounting will always be helpful – whether it's used professionally or personally. This course helps students to understand the responsibilities of the accountant and the impacts of their recommendations on the business and the wider environment.
Students will build knowledge and understanding of key concepts, principles and techniques that they can apply to real-life scenarios, developing the ability to solve problems.
What you will study
Students will be expected to demonstrate knowledge and effectively analyse and evaluate financial data so that you can make judgements, decisions and recommendations about how a business can manage their financial affairs.
It is also important that students focus on developing their ability to write effectively so that they can report to stakeholders, making logical arguments and providing sound judgements taking account of financial and non-financial factors.
Teaching and assessment
Assessment is by one written exam
Written exam: 3 hours. 120 marks. 100% of AS
The exam consists of 3 compulsory sections:
Section A: 10 multiple choice questions and short answer questions (25 marks).
Section B: 4 structured questions (55 marks).
Section C: 2 extended answer questions (each worth 20 marks, the section is worth 40 marks).
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £0.00
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grade A* - C including English Language and Maths.
Individual subjects may require higher grades.
Mature learners without these qualifications may be accepted after an interview with the subject tutor.
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I came to the College as I wanted to travel and become more independent – it’s so modern and looks amazing. When I saw the library I was sold. Honestly the library was my main pull, there are so many books I loved it.
Someone came in to speak to us about the Sutton Trust, which gives students a taste of life at American universities. I applied - it was really competitive but I got in. We went to a different state every day, and we went to different colleges including Princeton and Harvard. I also had a week at Warwick Uni and a week at Nottingham Uni. It was so good – I just loved it.
You have a lot of support at the College, especially from the Careers and Ideas team. I think there are a lot more opportunities here as it is such a big college with so many resources.
Need to know