About this course
Our BTEC 540 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Graphic Design is a great course for individuals keen to pursue a career in the creative industries. Based at our City Centre campus in Cardiff, this programme offers a wide range of approaches to digital interactive design, whilst utilising the very latest Adobe software to generate stimulating outcomes.
Studying in the College's dedicated specialist studios and multimedia suites, learners will develop a range of advanced skills appropriate to their own individual area of interest and creative potential.
The course is project-led and studio-based with live projects and competitions held throughout the year, to encourage innovation and creativity. Students are encouraged to respond creatively to unit project briefs and given a taste of specialist areas of Graphic Design. Throughout the year, a series of specialist disciplines will be taught with no additional exams. All projects are based on the principles of professional practice whilst considering the final outcome.
What you will study
Topics studied will include:
- Adobe software training
- Materials, Techniques & Processes
- Ideas & Concepts
- Graphic Design
- Illustration (Traditional/ Digital)
- Image Manipulation
- Visual Communication/ Information Graphics
- Visual Diary
- Design History
Course fee per year
Registration Fee Payable on Enrolment: £30.00
Studio Fees: £65.00
5 GCSEs A* - C including English Language or Maths or successful completion of BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Graphic Design. You must provide a portfolio of work during your interview.
Teaching and assessment
- Coursework assessment including written assignments and practical assessments
- The College welcomes contact with parents/guardians of students who are under 18
- Additional support is available for students with learning difficulties and disabilities
- Cardiff and Vale College is committed to inclusion and values diversity. We are determined to promote equality of opportunity and to treat everyone fairly and with respect
- Cardiff and Vale College reserves the right to make changes to this course without prior notice
- All courses are accurate at the time of upload or print
- Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers
- Please note, if you choose three or more course choices, then you may be referred for a careers appointment first. This does not apply to A Level or GCSE choices.
Time of day
I started studying A Levels and just did not get on with them. I eventually decided to pursue my creative interests and start a Creative Media course. It has been really hands on, practical and turned out to be something I really enjoyed doing. My tutors have been amazing and have always encouraged me to do well. The first year of the course gave me a huge confidence boost and that has allowed me to progress onto the Foundation Degree Film course that I am studying now. Everyone is so enthusiastic and that really supports your learning environment.