Career Ready transforms the life chances of young people at Cardiff and Vale College. By connecting students to volunteers from the world of business, they develop the skills, confidence and behaviour to compete when they leave college. Career Ready is a programme that Cardiff and Vale College offer to students aged 16-19 enrolling onto a course. The Career Ready program has simple objectives:
- Increased employment chances for young people in the UK
- Increased number of young people in the UK who are ready for the world of work
Why you should join Career Ready
By being involved in our programme students have access to masterclasses based at CAVC and at external sites. Every year Career Ready host a London Capital Experience trip, where learners are given the opportunity to travel to London for a day of networking and much more. Through our masterclasses you will learn about:
- Enhancing your CV
- Building your own self brand
- Interview skills
- Building confidence
- Keeping yourself motivated and much, much more
- The Career Ready programme also offers a mentoring scheme. Every student will have the opportunity to be paired with a working professional from a variety of business backgrounds.
This allows students to learn from people working directly in lines of work to their interest. This direct link with working professionals is the first step students take in taking responsibility and starting their future.
The Career Ready programme is for students with the potential to succeed, who need guidance and opportunities to compete on a level-playing field for the best careers in the country.
At a time when young people are struggling to secure employment and a good knowledge of the workplace is more crucial than ever, the events we hold at Cardiff and Vale College are a fantastic opportunity for students to practice networking and find out more about the kind of skills major employers are seeking.
Do you want to:
- Unlock your potential and raise aspirations?
- Develop employment skills and experiences?
- Benefit from a mentor and an internship?
- Gain exciting, life-changing opportunities and real-life work experiences?
Join us at Career Ready and kick start your career.
We are always looking for more businesses and individuals to offer their support to Career Ready by:
- Becoming a mentor – either face-to-face mentoring or e-mentoring
- Joining our Local Advisory Board
- Delivering a master class to students on a particular topic, for example “Writing your CV” or “Effective networking”
- Offering a four to six week paid internship over the summer
Emily Morgan, Career ready Co-ordinator - EMorgan1@cavc.ac.uk
- Cardiff & Vale College has been affiliated with Career Ready UK since 2009.
- Career Ready UK is a national charity that links education with business to prepare young people for the world of work.
- Through our partnership with Career Ready UK we provide a structured programme of internships, mentoring by employee volunteers, master classes and workplace visits.
- The aim of the programme is to give 16-19 year olds the work experience and skills they need to be able to perform more effectively in the wider world.
- Our Career Ready is part of a national network of more than 150 schools and colleges across the UK.
- Over 85% of Career Ready graduates nationally progress either to university - often the first in their family to do so - or directly into employment or work based learning such as apprenticeships or school leaver programmes.
- The Career Ready programme helps us to meet the latest Government and Ofsted standards for careers guidance – “Schools should provide sustained contacts with employers, mentors and coaches who can inspire pupils with a sense of what they can achieve and help them understand how to make this a reality”.