CAVC set to send six students to the Skills Show
Cardiff and Vale College will be sending six of its learners to the next round of the World Skills competition next month.
Five students will travel to the Birmingham NEC next month to take part in the Skills Show next month. They will all undertake an extremely challenging series of tests over four days and if they triumph they could go on to the World Skills finals in Brazil in 2015.
The students are:
- Matthew North. The 21-year-old from Cardiff will participate in the Automotive Body Repair competition
- 22-year-old Harrison Jankovic from Cardiff will also compete in the Automotive Body Repair competition
- Stuart Thomas, 20 and from Pembroke Dock, will take part in the Automotive Refinishing heat
- Luke Mayor, who is 20 and from Dinas Powys, is to compete in the Electrical Installation round
- Matt Hancock, 25 and from Cardiff, will be in the Wall and Floor Tiling competition
- 28-year-old Paul Walker from Cardiff will also represent the College in the Wall and Floor Tiling competition
The five students will be testing themselves against some of the UK’s most talented people. WorldSkills UK Skills Competitions inspire young people and adults to be ambitious in their pursuit of skills to the highest level. WorldSkills UK plays a vital role in raising standards, esteem and levels of expertise in further education, skills and Apprenticeships through competition activities and local initiatives.
CAVC Director for Engineering and Construction Bradley Tanner said: “I am extremely proud of Matthew, Stuart, Luke, Matt and Paul – a chance to compete in the Skills Show really is a fantastic opportunity. It’s great news for the learners, the faculty and the entire College.”