Financial support

Financial Support at Cardiff and Vale College

There is a wide range of financial support available. The amount of help depends on your age, whether you’re studying full or part time, how long you’ve been living in the UK and your financial circumstances.

The financial support offered aims to help students who are claiming state benefits or on low income.

EMA & WGLG – 2017/18 Application packs

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) application packs for under 19 learners and Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) application packs for over 19 learners are now available from CAVC sites.

All forms are returned to Student Finance Wales, not to the college.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

The Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is a weekly payment of £30 a week depending on your household income. The money is intended to help with the day-to-day costs whilst you are at College.

You may be eligible for an EMA of £30.00 per week if:

- You live in Wales

- Aged between 16 to 18 on 1st September for the academic year you wish to study in

- Meet the nationality and residency rules set out in the EMA scheme

- Meet household income rules set out in the EMA scheme

To qualify for the allowance you need to have 100% attendance.  Application forms are available from Student Finance Wales by telephoning Student Finance Wales on 0300 200 4050 or from any reception.


Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) formerly Assembly Learning Grant (ALG)

The Welsh Government Learning Grant (WGLG) provides support to help people from low-income families to access and remain in further education.

You may be eligible for a WGLG of up to £1,500.00 if:

- You are 19 or over on 1st September for the academic year you wish to study in

- You meet household income rules set out in the WGLG scheme

- You meet the residence and nationality rules set out for the WGLG FE scheme

- You are studying an eligible FE course in the UK that involves at least 275 hours of study

- You are not receiving funding for your course from another source.

Application forms are available from college receptions and Student Finance Wales or 0300 200 4050.

Financial Contingency Fund (FCF)

The Financial Contingency Fund (FCF) can provide financial help to learners who are experiencing difficulties as a result of low income.  In particular, it can help those individuals to pay for meals, course equipment and travel.  Application forms are available from college receptions or here.

New students - you must apply for EMA or WGLG before you apply for FCF.  Returning students from 2016/17 can apply as rollover students, but may be liable to a sample check of household income.


If you are under 19 years of age, studying full time and live more than 3 miles from your main site of study, then you may be eligible for free travel – bus or train.

If you are under 19 years of age, studying full time, but live less than 3 miles from your main site of study, you may be able to apply for discounted bus travel.  Please visit for more information.

Please enquire further at enrolment or at any reception desk.

Financial support available if on benefits or low income


Full time student (12+ hrs a wk)

Part time student (8-12 hrs a wk)


Under 19 (as at 1 Sep)

Over 19 (as at 1 Sep)

Under 19 (as at 1 Sep)

Over 19 (as at 1 Sep)

Education Maintenance Allowance





Welsh Government Learning Grant



Yes (Course must be over 500 hours)


Yes  (if course over 275 hours)

Essential course equipment





Meal vouchers


No (unless a returning student from 2015/16 and already receiving meals)




Travel assistance

Yes (If 3 miles walking distance from main site of study)

Yes (if 3 miles from main site of study, or 2 miles if returning student from 2015/16)

No (except in special cases)


Childcare costs





We have discounted travel passes available from:

Cardiff Bus

Arriva Trains Wales

New Adventure Travel

First Cymru Group

There is a £50 non-refundable administration fee payable for all travel passes ordered through Cardiff and Vale College.

Download the Financial Contingency Fund Application Form for 2017/18

Higher Education Funding

If you're considering a full-time HE course: visit the financial support page for full-time students

If you're considering a part-time HE course: visit the financial support page for part-time students 


The UK Government is making changes to the amount of benefits some people receive. They are also making changes to the way benefits are paid. For more information, please view the changes to the benefits system website. 

Further grants and support

For further advice on claiming grants for other organisations and charities visit the Turn2us website. It has a huge amount of help and information on benefits, financial capability and managing money - Turn 2 Us website


Did your father work in the South Wales coal mines? Possible grants available for students

The College has been contacted by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO) to advise us that there are grants available through one of their memorial trusts, potentially payable to students who are dependants of former South Wales mineworkers.

There are certain criteria that have to be met, but if you think you may be eligible for a payment of up to £300, please visit their website ( or phone 01443 485233 and ask for Nicola Taylor or Andrew Morse.  They will be able to talk you through the application procedure and make an assessment on your eligibility.  There is no means-testing in the application process.

As well as paying grants while studying at college, they also offer grants if you progress to university, which can be as high as £500 for each year of your course.

If you think you may be eligible, don’t delay, contact them as soon as possible.


Lawrence Atwell’s Charity

This charity offers grants to young people who would struggle to get training without some additional financial support.

This can help young people between the ages of 16 and 26 to learn new skills and make their way into work.  The charity cannot help if learners are still in secondary education, studying for GCSEs or A Levels, or studying any other course that is not vocational.

If you can answer yes to all the following questions you can apply: 

  •  Are you aged 16-26?
  •  Are you a British citizen, asylum seeker or refugee, or have you lived in the UK for 3 years before the start of your course?
  • Is your parents’ income less than £26,000 per year, and has been so for some time?
  • Are you undertaking training that is vocational or a 'First Step'?

Visit their website here for more information.


Cardiff and Vale College are not responsible for application processes or information on external websites.